Food Preservatives Industry Overview
The global food preservatives market size is expected to reach USD 4.16 billion by 2030, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of 4.6% from 2022 to 2030. The fast-paced working lifestyle of consumers in North America and the Asia Pacific has been instrumental in driving the demand for ready-to-eat products. Consequently, the use of food preservatives is expected to grow owing to benefits provided by them, such as the prevention of food spoilage and an increase in shelf life.
Food Preservatives Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global food preservatives market report on the basis of label, type, function, application, and region:
Based on the Label Insights, the market is segmented into clean label and conventional
- Conventional held the largest revenue share of over 65.0% in 2021. Conventional food preservatives are used alone or in conjugation with other preservation techniques.
- Conventional preservatives mostly include antioxidants that work as oxygen absorbers or antimicrobial preservatives that inhibit the growth of fungi or bacteria.
- Product recalls are rising majorly in the U.S. and also in other countries due to several outbreaks including E. coli and salmonella infections.
- The clean label segment is expected to grow at the fastest rate over the forecast period owing to shifting consumer focus toward trusted and better-understood ingredients.
- The food industry is rapidly adopting clean label preservatives that help meet the requirements of food formulators trying to cope with the demand of a label-conscious consumer base.
- Manufacturers have introduced a clean label range that is compatible with food formulation to suit the demand of end-users.
Based on the Type Insights, the market is segmented into natural and synthetic
- Synthetic type accounted for the largest revenue share of over 65.0% in 2021 in terms of value. The synthetic type is widely used as it is economical and easy to formulate.
- Sorbates, among all the chemical types, held the largest share in terms of value in 2021 owing to their widespread application in meat, poultry, and dairy products. Other widely used synthetic types are nitrites, propionates, and benzoates.
- Sorbates, benzoates, and propionates are often used in combination to improve efficiency. Propionates are gaining wider acceptance owing to their higher permissible limit and applications, including preservation at higher pH, baked goods, snacks, and other confectionaries.
- Natural preservatives are witnessing higher demand owing to their acceptance in processing by relevant regulatory agencies, coupled with rising health consciousness among customers.
- The natural products segment is expected to hold a major share during the forecast period on account of customer preference for clean label products. As a result, numerous manufacturers are adopting new formulation processes for the production of organic products to meet the requirement for clean labeled products.
- Rosemary extract is a majorly used natural preservative in North American and European countries.
Based on the Function Insights, the market is segmented into anti-microbial, anti-oxidant and others
- In 2021, anti-microbial preservatives dominated the market with a share of over 75.0%. The global market is dominated by anti-microbial preservatives, followed by anti-oxidants. Sorbates, benzoates, and other chemicals act as anti-microbial preservatives.
- Sodium propionate and calcium propionate are used as mold inhibitors in cheese, cake, bread, and other baked and confectionery products.
- Some of the natural microbial agents of plant or animal origin are rosemary extracts and edible oils. These contain metabolites that retard the development of micro-organisms, such as staphylococcus aureus, Aeromonas hydrophila, salmonella, and escherichia coli.
- Other functions include anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties provided by natamycin and reuterin. The antioxidants are among the essential factors in food labeling as consumers are now aware of the health benefits associated with additives and they opt for products rich in antioxidants.
- Green tea extracts, acerola, rosemary extract, and ascorbic acid possess antioxidant properties and are majorly used for preventing food oxidation.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into meat & poultry products, bakery products, dairy products, beverages, snacks and others
- Meat and poultry accounted for the largest revenue share of over 30.0% in 2021. The processed meat, poultry, and seafood industry are expanding at a significant rate globally, which is expected to drive the demand during the forecast period.
- Food preservatives are used in a wide variety of applications including bakery, meat and poultry, seafood, beverages, confectionery, oils and fats, and dairy and frozen products.
- Bakery products are characterized by their limited shelf-life due to microbiological spoilage that results in economical loss as well as a negative effect on the quality characteristic of the food product. Essential oils of lemongrass, cinnamon, and thyme have emerged as an attractive natural alternative in bakery applications.
- The beverages segment is expected to witness the fastest growth over the forecast period driven by the expansion of the industry in the Asia Pacific. Preservatives used in beverages can be classified into three forms, namely antioxidants, antimicrobial agents, and anti-browning agents.
- The growth of mold over the surface of the cheese is considered a major factor limiting its shelf life. Natamycin, sorbate, and benzoate are the most commonly used food preservatives in dairy products.
- The compounds are used to inhibit the growth of different types of microorganisms. The use of food preservatives is expected to increase in the dairy industry with the rising consumption of milk and milk-based products.
Food Preservatives Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
The market was characterized by a large number of synthetic preservatives manufacturers. However, due to the rising demand for organic preservatives, the market has witnessed new entrants marking their presence. Global manufacturers include ADM, BASF SE, and Celanese Corporation. Demand for natural food products is gradually increasing owing to consumer awareness about health and an increase in customer willingness to pay for premium products. As a result, a large number of natural food manufacturers have entered the market further intensifying the competition.
Some prominent players in the global food preservatives market include:
- Cargill, Inc.
- Kemin Industries, Inc.
- Tate & Lyle
- Koninklijke DSM N.V.
- BASF SE
- Celanese Corporation
- Corbion N.V.
- Galactic S.A.
Market Industry Development
- August 2021: Conagen, Inc. launched its new product ‘p-Coumaric Acid’ (PCA), which is a natural and clean-label preservative that is prepared by fermentation.
Order a free sample PDF of the Food Preservatives Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Email: [email protected]