He is the one who selects the camera, lenses, filters etc to match with the intentions of the director.
Freelance Cinematographer Jobs is an art and craft of making motion pictures by capturing a story visually. A cinematographer also referred to as DOP or DP is the chief over camera and light crews working on a motion picture. They are responsible for taking artistic and technical decisions with regards to the image. The film cinematographer works closely with the director. The director allows him complete independence while working on a project. The director basically conveys what he wants from a particular scene and the cinematographer works towards achieving that effect.
You can take up degrees like BA in cinematography, BVA in cinematography, diploma in cinematography, advance diploma in cinematography or degrees in films, productions, communications will be helpful. You can also pursue post graduate degrees like MA in cinematography, M Sc. in photography and cinematography.
You can also take up certificate courses in photography, films and cinematography.
Positions and Responsibilities
- A cinematographer has to analyse the screenplay, the characters, and the story structure.
- They have to decide the visual approach of the film with the director.
- They have to conduct research regarding the location, props, sun positions, climate conditions with the perspective of the film sites.
- They need to select and source the required equipment, tools and crew members.
- They have to visit the locations and take a series of test shots before deciding the angles and filters.
- They have to discuss the techniques that will be used to create the desired atmosphere of the film and also are responsible for approving the costumes, make-up, hair as well as the colours and textures used on sets.
- They have to train the crew to use the modified equipment.
- They need to attend the cast rehearsals and provide suggestions where needed.
- They need to work with the post production team to ensure the desired effects are preserved and see to it that the mood of the film is maintained.
- They have kept themselves updated with the ongoing trends in the film industry.
- Cinematographers must attend workshops and training sessions on regular bases, expand their network and maintain healthy relationships in the industry.
- They are responsible for creating the look, colour, lighting and framing each and every shot in the film.
- They need to make sure that their vision meets the standards for the director.
- Once the film wraps, they have to work with the processing lab to ensure that the project is retained.
- A cinematographer must have an eye on every detail and a mind for fast invention.
- They must have a thorough understanding of lighting techniques, light colour, shade and manipulation.
- They need to have a strong technical knowledge about cameras and the film production process.
- Strong communication skills , management skills and listening skills are a must for a cinematographer.
- They must have a flexible approach to adapt knowledge already accumulated to achieve an improved result.