Inhalation Anesthesia Industry Overview
The global inhalation anesthesia market size is expected to reach USD 2.4 billion by 2030 and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 9.0% in the forecast period, from 2022 to 2030, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Inhalation anesthetics offer shorter induction period and recovery time along with better efficacy and lesser adverse effects as compared to other alternatives, thus providing better anesthetic effect during surgical procedures. They also provide excellent control over the duration of anesthesia in the patient. Thus, inhalation anesthesia is being preferred over intravenous anesthesia due to these advantages.
Inhalation Anesthesia Market Segmentation
Grand View Research, has segmented the inhalation anesthesia market report based on drug, application, and region.
Based on the Drug Insights, the market is segmented into Sevoflurane, Desflurane, Isoflurane, Halothane.
- Sevoflurane dominated the inhalation anesthesia market in 2021 because it is potent, rapidly acting, and has faster emergence and recovery as compared to the other drugs available in the market; however, it is more expensive than its alternatives.
- These factors have led to sevoflurane being the preferred choice of surgeons during surgical procedures for induction and maintenance of anesthesia.
- Isoflurane is expected to show the highest growth rate over the forecast period. If fresh gas flow rates are considered, sevoflurane and desflurane cost two to three times more than isoflurane.
- Hence, isoflurane is the preferred choice for inhalation general anesthesia of anesthesiologists in developing countries owing to the presence of a cost-sensitive patient pool.
- The number of manufacturers of halothane is decreasing owing to a decline in demand from hospitals as new agents such as desflurane and sevoflurane are gaining traction. Although halothane is no longer used in clinical practice in North America, it is still extensively used in developing countries and during veterinary surgeries owing to its low cost.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Induction, Maintenance.
- The maintenance segment held the largest share in 2021 due to the fact that inhaled anesthetics are more preferred for the maintenance of anesthesia. They allow more precise control of the anesthetic state, which is cost-effective.
- Factors influencing induction of anesthesia include a therapeutic index of a drug, Minimum Alveolar Concentration (MAC), potency, patient’s age, rate of metabolism by kidney/liver, compatibility with other drugs, and blood/gas solubility.
- Inhalation general anesthetic agents have different mechanisms of action in the central nervous system depending on blood and gas solubility and the Minimum Alveolar Concentration (MAC) concentration of different drugs.
Inhalation Anesthesia Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Key players are undertaking various strategic initiatives to gain market shares such as mergers & acquisitions, technological collaborations, partnerships, and innovative product developments & launches.
Some prominent players in the global inhalation anesthesia market include
- Halocarbon Products Corporation
- Lunan Pharmaceutical Group
- Piramal Enterprises Ltd.
- Sandoz International GmbH (Novartis)
- Fresenius Kabi Ag
Order a free sample PDF of the Inhalation Anesthesia Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Email: [email protected]