Mycoplasma Testing Industry Overview
The global mycoplasma testing market size is expected to reach a value of USD 1.87 billion by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of 14.9%, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The demand for mycoplasma testing products is anticipated to rise in near future with growing R&D investments in the field of life sciences. Huge opportunities in the life sciences segment are spurring market growth. Rising investment in biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries with rising healthcare spending is expected to further fuel the growth.
Mycoplasma Testing Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global mycoplasma testing market on the basis of product, technology, application, end-use, and region:
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Instruments, Kits & Reagents, Services.
- Kits and reagents accounted for the largest market share in 2019 owing to the repeated purchase of consumables for the detection of mycoplasma in cell culture research work and other applications.
- Kit and reagents segment is further divided into PCR assays, nucleic acid detection kits, stains, elimination kits, and standards and controls.
- PCR assays aid in accurate mycoplasma identification and provides results within a few hours. Detection of mycoplasma can be done easily by verifying bands of DNA fragments using electrophoresis, which is mostly used by PCR assays that do not need preparation of labeled probes.
- Instruments are expected to showcase significant growth over the forecast period, due to the growing availability of automated instruments for the detection of mycoplasma. PCR systems offer a better approach that enables rapid detection and provides results in a short amount of time.
Based on the Technology Insights, the market is segmented into PCR, ELISA, Direct Assay, Indirect Assay, Microbial Culture Techniques, Enzymatic Methods.
- The PCR segment held the largest market share in 2019. This technology enables the detection of multiple species of mycoplasma while separating other contaminating DNA.
- Direct assays are expected to showcase lucrative growth over the forecast period. The high level of certainty provided by these tests has been one of the key reasons for its significant market growth.
- Microbial culture techniques are also highly demanded due to increasing applications in mycoplasma contamination testing and the rising number of research activities conducted in the field of the biopharmaceutical industry.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Cell Line Testing, Virus Testing, End of Production Cells Testing, Others.
- Cell line testing held the largest market share in terms of revenue in 2019 owing to the growing number of research activities undertaken in the field of cell culture.
- Mycoplasma contamination can lead to alterations in cell culture metabolite formations and develop toxins. This gives cell line testing and authentication prime importance in the pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical industries.
- The end of the production cell testing segment is anticipated to exhibit significant growth over the forecast period owing to the huge amount of cell harvest and a growing number of clinical trials for drug discovery and development.
- This application segment includes genetic analysis of the transgenes using techniques, such as Southern Blotting, transgene copy number, and mRNA sequencing.
Based on the End-use Insights, the market is segmented into Academic Research Institutes, Cell Banks, Contract Research Organizations, Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, Others.
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies held the largest market share in 2019 due to huge investments in R&D activities by these companies, which has led to progressive research related to drug discovery.
- These companies are engaged in quality checks of raw materials, thus, ensuring biological safety management. Moreover, the biopharmaceutical industry is also growing due to an increase in the incidence of diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis.
- Contract Research Organizations (CROs) is expected to showcase lucrative growth over the forecast period owing to rising research services made available by these organizations.
Mycoplasma Testing Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
The major strategies adopted by these companies include mergers and acquisitions, new product development, and geographical expansions. For instance, in 2019, Lonza expanded its mycoplasma detection portfolio by launching the new luminometer Lucetta 2-a product used to accelerate and simplify the detection of mycoplasma in cell cultures.
Some prominent players in the global mycoplasma testing market include
- Bionique Testing Laboratories, Inc.
- Lonza Group Ltd.
- Merck KGaA
- PromoCell GmbH
- ATCC (American Type Culture Collection)
- Biological Industries Israel Beit Haemek Ltd.
- Charles River Laboratories International, Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
Order a free sample PDF of the Mycoplasma Testing Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519